PGL is excited to kick off the 2019–20 school year with a few new initiatives:
- Curriculum overview night for parents of 2nd–8th graders
- An after-school math club
- Parent support groups
- Building representatives/parent liaisons
NEW: Curriculum Overview Night for Parents of Gifted Students
PGL is teaming with the School District of Clayton to provide a two-part event on September 18, 2019 at 6 pm at Wydown Middle School. The district's Gifted Specialists will present a curricular overview, followed by a presentation by Emily Kircher-Morris, MA, MED, LPC, on parenting gifted children.
NEW: After-School Elementary Math Enrichment Club
PGL is sponsoring IMACS this fall! We chose IMACS because their program is a collaborative experience, as opposed to competitive. IMACS is focused on helping kids learn reasoning skills and the logical processes involved in higher level math. As an enrichment program, it is ideal for kids who need a challenge in math or have untapped potential.
Who is eligible:
- All interested 1st–5th graders
- Students will be divvied into one of four classes, of not more than 11 kids in each section, by ability. Some consideration will be given to age and maturity.
- Contact Doug Hunt at email@example.com to arrange for your child to take an IMACS placement class BEFORE September 12 in order to register for the fall session.
Dates/Times: Thursdays, September 12–October 24, 2019
- 5:00–6:00 pm Primary Enrichment
- 5:00–6:30 pm Elementary Enrichment
- 5:00–7:00 pm Full Enrichment
- 5:00–7:00 pm Intermediate Enrichment
Cost: Scholarships are available! Ask for details when registering for a placement class.
- Primary Enrichment: $250
- Elementary Enrichment: $305
- Full & Intermediate Enrichment: $360
Location: Glenridge Elementary (exact rooms to be determined)
Program information: Visit the IMACS website. If you are interested in IMACS but Thursdays will not work for your family, please note that IMACS offers additional classes around St. Louis on other days.
NEW: Parent Support Groups
PGL has teamed up with Gifted Support Network to offer parent support groups for all interested parents in our region. These groups provide a safe, comfortable place for parents of gifted and twice-exceptional kids to share our experiences and learn ways to better support our children at home and at school. For more information, reach out to Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rachel at email@example.com.
- September 10, 9:30–10:30 am
- October 8, 7–8 pm
- November 12, 7–8 pm
- December 10, 9:30–10:3 0am
Location: University City Public Library, Room 2, 6701 Delmar Blvd., University City, 63130
Registration: go to https://www.giftedsupportnetwork.org/central-stl-psg.html. There is no cost associated with participating; however, we ask that you register ahead of time to let us know you're coming and tell us about any topics you'd like to discuss.
NEW: Building Representatives/Parent Liaisons
PGL is providing two parent co-representatives to serve each school in our district. These co-reps will help support the Gifted Specialist, be available to answer questions from fellow parents, and serve as a liaison between each school and PGL. We are still looking for a few more volunteers! Please contact Rachel Stohler at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to sign up.