Proposition S Construction Complete!
Thank you Clayton voters for approving Proposition S in April 2009 – a $51 million bond issue that made repairs and improved facilities at Clayton High School, Captain Elementary School, Glenridge Elementary School, Meramec Elementary School and the Family Center.
Projects completed with funds from Prop S:
- Facilitated state-of-the-art teaching and learning in science by providing new science labs and classrooms at Clayton High School and each elementary school.
- Repaired and updated infrastructure, including heating, air-conditioning, plumbing and electrical systems, to make our buildings healthier and more energy efficient.
- Strengthened our dated technology infrastructure to meet current and future curriculum needs.
- Made our early childhood and elementary school campuses safer, more secure and more accessible by improving student and traffic circulation.
- Provided additional classroom and learning space at each elementary school to facilitate specialized instruction, including grade-level support, OASIS tutoring, enrichment and other individual and small-group learning.
- Created additional, revenue-generating early childhood education classroom space at the Family Center to meet the community’s early childhood needs.
- Repaired and upgraded dated facilities at Clayton High School to meet the needs of athletics and performing arts programs.
The Board of Education, Clayton staff, S.M. Wilson and both design teams worked hard to get the most value out of the $51 million approved for Prop S. They succeeded – the work was completed on time and under budget. That savings allowed the District to complete a number of additional infrastructure and maintenance projects that were identified in the 2008 Facilities Master Plan but were not included on the original list of Prop S projects. The additional work completed includes:
- Fire sprinklers at Clayton High School, Captain Elementary, Glenridge Elementary, Meramec Elementary & the Family Center
- Additional flooring in all schools
- Lighting upgrades and controls
- New roofing sections at Glenridge Elementary, Meramec Elementary and Clayton High School
- Rooftop greenhouse at Clayton High School
- Renovated restrooms/plumbing at Clayton High School
- Replaced/repaired gutters and downspouts and tuck pointing, as needed
- Sidewalk lighting and concrete sidewalk to lower drive at the Family Center
- Electrical switch gear, gas line relocation and grounds sprinkler addition at Captain Elementary
- Track overlay and bleacher repairs at Centene Stadium at Gay Field