Math in Focus - The Singapore Approach:How Can I Help My Student At Home?To best help your student maintain independence,resist the urge to “show” him/her how to do the math. Encourage them to look at a sample problem and ask questions such as, “What do you remember from class?” or “What do you think this means….?” Your support and positive attitude towards math goes a long way to help your child succeed.What is Math in Focus?Math in focus:
What is the Philosophy Behind Math in Focus?
- is a textbook series based on Singapore’s Ministry of Education’s Mathematics Framework.
- is organized to teach fewer concepts at each level, but to teach them thoroughly. When a concept appears in a subsequent grade level, it is always at a higher or deeper level.
- helps students build solid conceptual understanding through a focus on problem solving. The sequences of topics are written to develop a level of mastery, following the Singapore Mathematics Problem Solving Framework. Students learn the“why” and “how” through instruction, hands-on activities, and problem solving.
- consistently employs a concrete-pictorial-abstract progression. Clear and engaging visuals that present concepts and model solutions allow all students to gain a strong conceptual understanding.
- is divided into two sections. Book A concentrates heavily on key Number and Operations concepts so students build a strong foundation in the beginning of the year. Book B focuses on the application of the concepts taught in Book A. The Standards for Mathematical Practice are integrated within the content through activities, explorations, practice and meaningful discussion.
Singapore’s Approach to Becoming Strategic Mathematical Problem Solvers focuses on the Singapore Ministry of Education’s pedagogy that emphasizes conceptual understanding, skill development, strategies for solving problems, attitudes towards math, and metacognition.The center of the pentagon is problem solving. The primary goal of Math in Focus is to enable students to become strategic mathematical problem solvers and persevere in solving problem as outlined in mathematical practice. This goal is the same as the first Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice – “Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.”Standards for Mathematical Practice
Additional Math in Focus Resources:Scope and Sequence: Curriculum objectives by gradeCommon Core State Standards: Alignment
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others
- Model with mathematics
- Use appropriate tools strategically
- Attend to precision
- Look for and make use of structure
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning