Fourth-Grade Social Studies Learning ObjectivesHistory
- Explain the interactions of early European explorers and Native Americans in Missouri.
- Understand the cultural significance of the various Native Americans that once lived in Missouri.
- Understand the cultural significance of the Europeans that settled in Missouri.
- Sequence and describe the importance of the Louisiana Purchase and the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
- Explain how Missourians have solved social and economic conflicts.
- Understand how Missouri became a state and Missouri’s role in the Civil War.
- Describe the changes in Missouri since the Civil War in education, transportation and communication.
- Understand the importance of individuals from Missouri who have made contributions to our state and national heritage.
- Read and interpret timelines.
- Understand how geography affects the way people live in different regions of the United States.
- Label and describe the six regions of the United States.
- Understand how people in Missouri adapt to where they live.
- Describe characteristics of each region in Missouri.
- Label the cities of Kansas City, Springfield, St. Louis, Jefferson City, Columbia and St. Joseph on a map of Missouri.
- Use the compass rose on a map.
- Locate a place on a map using longitude and latitude.
- Construct a map with a key (or legend).
- Use an atlas independently.
- Understand the differences between physical, political and specialty maps.
- Explain how Missourians meet their needs.
- Interpret past, explain present and predict future consequences of economic decisions.
- Understand supply and demand.
- Understand the difference between saving and investment.
- Understand the purpose of taxes.
- Identify and explain the function of the three branches of government in Missouri.
- Understand the ways in which our state government provides for its citizens.
- Understand the role of citizens in our democratic system.
- Demonstrate understanding of what it was like to live in another time and place.
- Demonstrate understanding of how art, photographs and artifacts help one to understand a culture.