Physical Education Expectations
Spirit of the Game
At Wydown, the Physical Education department will be relying on the standards set forth by the concept: Spirit of the Game. Spirit of the Game originated with the USA Ultimate Frisbee league. Spirit of the Game relies upon the spirit of sportsmanship that places the responsibility for fair play on the player. There are 5 major aspects of Spirit of the Game:
- Know the Rules: it is our expectation that after being taught how to play a game, the students will use what they have been taught to play respectfully and appropriately. If a student does not understand a rule or concept within the game, it is the student’s responsibility to ask for clarification.
- Avoid body contact: students should be respectful of each other’s personal space and mindful of their own. Avoiding body contact will help students to avoid injury.
- Communicate Respectfully: Students should use “I” statements when advocating for themselves or their team. Conflict resolution should take place on the sidelines. Taunting and teasing words are not respectful and thus not allowed in PE classes.
- Be fair-minded: Assume the best of the opponent. We expect students to give him or her the benefit of a doubt, as they would want the same for themselves. It never feels good to play against a team who is not following the rules of the game, so having integrity is key to a fair-minded attitude.
- Enjoy playing: We want all of our students to learn some new skills, build on existing and have a great time in PE. Go hard, play fair and have fun!
6th grade daily expectations
All 6th grade students are required to wear shoes and comfortable clothing that is appropriate for PE. Shoes should tie, have a back and not have a heel. Clothing should be loose, allow for movement, and not prohibit students from participating in strenuous activity.
10 points daily
2- participation in warm up
6- Spirit of the Game
7th & 8th grade daily expectations
All 7th & 8th grade students are required to wear shoes and a Wydown PE shirt, along with comfortable bottoms that are appropriate for PE. Shoes should tie, have a back and not have a heel. Clothing should allow for movement and not prohibit students from participating in strenuous activity.
10 points daily
6-Spirit of the Game