The School District of Clayton Health and Physical Education program includes all health and physical educators who collaborate to provide high-quality learning experiences for Clayton students. All learners will have opportunities to experience success and growth that will help them develop high levels of personal meaning, health and well-being, and an appropriate basis for developing a healthy lifestyle.
Listed below are the Enduring Understandings of the Health curriculum. These are statements that summarize important ideas and core processes that are central to a discipline and have lasting value beyond the classroom.
A health literate individual will...
(Adapted from The National Health Education Standards)
- understand concepts related to promoting a healthy lifestyle and disease prevention.
- analyze the influence of family, peers, culture, media, technology, and other factors on health behaviors.
- access accurate information, products, and services to enhance health.
- use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce health risks.
- use decision-making and goal-setting skills to enhance health.
- practice health-enhancing behaviors and avoid or reduce health risks.
- model the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health.
Individuals who are health literate have the skills to gather, understand, and act upon information and knowledge to improve their health and well-being.